Monday, July 27, 2009

Farm Sitting Part 1: Drink all your milk!

Meet Lucy and Amy:
I believe Lucy is the older goat and Amy is the baby, but I'm not really sure. I just know I had to feed them. [Editor's Note: These names are switched. Amy is the adult, and Lucy is the baby. From this point on, the names are correct.] Lucy's mom died and so has to be bottle fed "goat formula" morning and evening. She still eats hay--they got 1 flake of hay each morning and evening. (Apparently something about the baling process causes a bale of hay to become divided into sections or flakes. Think of it as a stick of butter that easily divides into pats when it's unwrapped. If you'd like to actually see, feel, smell and taste your own flake of hay, go here.)

Here's a picture of Lucy eating the hay:
I tried to get a picture of both of them eating, but Amy doesn't like anyone watching her eat. She would extricate herself from the hay bin and watch me warily.

My favorite part--of the whole experience actually--was giving Lucy her bottle of "goat formula" (the official name was something like goat milk replacement with some probiotic added in). Since the bottle was just a used soda bottle, I had to hold the nipple onto the bottle otherwise she would pull it off in her excitement. As a result, I had goat slobber and milk on my hand. Yum.

Despite that, there is nothing better than having a person or animal be so excited to see you. When Lucy saw me coming, she went crazy. If she was outside the barn when I came up, she would race to the barn. No matter what, she bleated like she hadn't been fed in a week and jumped up on me when I entered the pen. I videoed the process the last time I fed her. Check out the tail wagging! You can also hear the ponies and the cows letting me know they were hungry, too. (Chickens. cats, and dogs were fed first, then the goats followed by the ponies and cows/steers/bull. More about them later.)

2 comments:

Bethany said...

And I thought Adam drank milk fast!

Tiffany W. said...

Woah! That was one hungry goat! I am pretty sure the poor thing had some major gas issues after that! :)