Sunday, December 21, 2008

Blessings Behind the Iron Curtain

Okay, so maybe the allusion to the dividing line between communism and the free world is a little dramatic, but the general idea is still accurate. I've been snowed in. And not just the "oh dear there's a 1/2 inch of snow in Oregon. We'd better shut everything down and call in the National Guard" snowed in. We got more than 8 inches of snow yesterday. On top of that (literally) we got freezing rain last night and there was an almost 1/2 inch crust of ice on the snow. I know; I walked in it. It's been alternating between snowing and raining all day. And all day I watched the Southwest web site to see what would happen to my flight.

Of course I didn't get the official word that my flight was canceled until I was standing at the Max (light rail) station (Thanks Jen! You're a life saver!). Fortunately, I had just missed a train because the ticket station on the East bound side of the tracks wasn't working. I called the people who had just dropped me off since I knew they would still be out and I made it home only a little wet and cold.

I called the airline to find out what my options were, and well, provided we don't get another freak storm, I arrive in California at 8:00 pm Christmas day. I could hang out at the airport for the next three days trying to get on a flight as a stand-by passenger, but that just didn't feel right.

So here I am, back in my little house with my two little cats. Oddly enough I feel very peaceful. I called a sister I visit teacher earlier because I knew she had an extra set of chains. (I was hoping to not have to be cooped up for the next few days, but her daughter is using them.) When I told her my flight was canceled, she very practically said, "well it will be for the best, you'll see." And you know, I knew she was right. I don't know why, but I know she's right. It could be that I just need to be here so that the right things will happen. It could be that the Lord is sending comfort knowing that without it, the next few days would be very difficult. Whatever the reason, I am very very grateful.

My ward has been very helpful. As I've called around to making various arrangements (chains--already mentioned--, a sewing machine so I can work on Anna's present, etc.) I've already had two people offer to take me where ever I needed to go tomorrow. They've even asked if I have enough to eat (of course I do, can you imagine me with nothing in the cupboards, fridge, or freezer? Hello food storage!). I called my sister's mother-in-law and I will spend Christmas Eve and Christmas morning with them. They will take me to the airport when they go to pick up their daughter and son-in-law. It works out perfectly. There's a lot to be said for trusting in the Lord. Come what may, and if I don't love what's happening, I'll at least love and trust the Lord and that's what makes the difference.

0 comments: