Thursday, August 27, 2009

Beans, Tomates, and Peaches

Between the two gardens I "sat" for I was able to pick enough beans to can almost two dozen pints. Now I know that doesn't sound like a whole lot, but for my first time canning by myself, I'm satisfied. I grew up helping my mom can doing things like snapping beans, pealing and cutting pears and peaches, juicing tomatoes, etc. What I didn't help with was the actual processing part. So when I got ready to can this summer, I had no problem with this part:
I watched Jane Eyre while I snapped beans. It brought back many childhood memories. When I got to this part:I was glued to the Ball Blue Book of Preserving. I did everything it said to. I started out with a small pressure cooker which holds three pints, but eventually made it to my large one that will hold seven pints. I had never used the large pressure cooker before and was a little nervous about it. Eventually, however I made it here:

I did have almost 5 pints NOT seal which was discouraging, but my rate of success did increase as I went along.

After the beans, I also juiced tomatoes to make juice and canned some whole ones for sauces. Through Freecycle, I picked up a juicer that had hardly been used. I couldn't believe my luck. I first used it to de-seed raspberries (see picture), but later used it to juice the tomatoes. I keep trying to get a water bath canner or a steam canner on Freecycle as well, but no luck yet. I was able to borrow a water bath canner until I can find one in my price range (i.e. free).
Next I canned peaches with my sister and her mother-in-law. My goal was to do those on my own also, but whose to argue when people want to help.

My next project is pears which are currently sitting in my fridge for the recommended time. My goal is to take them out of the fridge to let them ripen so that they are ready to can on Labor Day. Good luck to me on that one.

At the end of it all, no matter how many jars seal or don't seal (by the way, everything I've water bathed has sealed), I've learned something new this summer. It's exciting, refreshing, and a great boost to my self-esteem. If I can can beans, I can take on a new batch of 7th graders, right?

1 comments:

Tiffany W. said...

That's awesome! I wish i knew how to do that. I suppose i would have to have a garden first though... hmmm. :) I am so impressed!