Thursday, November 13, 2008

Conference + Prayer = Well Behaved 7th Graders

I've been rereading and listening to Elder Bednar's last two general conference talks on prayer. Everything he says really helped me understand prayer a little better, but two thoughts struck me in particular. In his first talk on prayer he explains the importance of phrasing our requests to reflect our intent to act and not just to ask. From his second talk, the idea that our morning prayers can be times of commitment and our evening prayers a time of reflection on those commitments helped me rethink the way I pray.

Today, I saw in a simple way those two ideas combine to make a difference in my life. I've been praying that I will be guided in my choices and actions especially as it relates to my students (intent to act) knowing that at the end of the day I would report. As I started my third period, my first regular Language Arts class, I knew it could be a struggle to help the students stay on task since I was giving them a "catch-up" day. The thought came to me to ask them what should happen if a student chooses not to respect the need for quite as people work. They came up with all sorts of ideas (including expulsion from school), but out of the discussion, I formulated a three step plan: first instance of talking brought a warning, second instance brought a change of seat, and a third instance meant a 30 minute lunch visit with me and a chat with parents. It worked beautifully. It was clear and simple, and I never had to go beyond the second step nor move more than a handful of students total (some of them moved themselves).

I am grateful for Apostles and Prophets who teach correct principles from the Lord.

Ask in Faith and Pray Always by Elder David A. Bednar
http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,49-1-851-31,00.html
http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,49-1-947-14,00.html

2 comments:

Fromagette said...

Moderate away! I believe you meant to type "quiet", not "quite" in this post. :) Sorry, big sis! And no, you don't have to call me Fromagette. (You could hire me to be your editor.)

Lynette said...

Thanks for sharing that Elizabeth, the gospel principles put into action in everyday life. I love those talks as well by Elder Bednar. Makes me want to review them in more detail again. :)