Saturday, November 29, 2008

Chick Mechanics

So about three or four years ago, my two roommates, Jen and Jackie, and myself changed the alternator in Jackie's car. We did an excellent job if I say so myself. Except for getting the wrench stuck. . . . well anyway.

After getting a taste of mechanical independence, I decided to expand my repertoire. This week my parents came up for Thanksgiving and I asked my dad to help me change the serpentine belt and show me how to change my own oil. I had already done the research on how to change the belt and had all the parts for both projects. I would have taken a picture, but I forgot, so you will have to go on faith.

I don't expect to have to change the serpentine belt again, but I know how to do it. As far as the oil, I am looking forward to not having to pay twenty to thirty dollars each time. It will take some getting used to, especially the next time when I am on my own, but it will get easier.

Some people find it simpler to have someone else do it, but I like being independent and learning how to do things for myself. I find great satisfaction in finishing a project even if it's a slightly messy one like changing the oil.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I remember the first time I had my dad teach me how to change the oil. Knowing how to do it is liberating. Good for you!!!

JackieE said...

Sweet! Go Chick Mechanics! I'm still proud of us for doing that! Way to go on learning how to change the oil yourself. I'll have to learn that next.