Sunday, November 23, 2008

Take Life Seriously?

I've always had the nagging feeling that I take life too seriously. Being able to reach out to others with an easy smile and laugh is such a simple thing, yet has such profound affects. It lightens life's load for yourself and everyone around you. Those that are blessed with that sublime talent of optimism and seeing beyond their own reality are so wonderful to be around. I want to be more like that, but I get swallowed up in my own little world so easily.

I think my issue is that I see life too narrowly, as something to accomplish--an end--and not a journey with a thousand vistas to be enjoyed. I feel I miss much of the bigger picture that makes life full. Consider this analogy: I play ultimate frisbee with an LDS group on Saturdays. I enjoy it very much, but all I really understand of the game is that you have to get the frisbee to your end of the field despite the obstacles (the other team). I can run, throw, and catch with moderate competence, but strategy is almost lost on me. As a result, I sometimes feel more of a hindrance than a help to those with more sports savvy. I wonder if I as well as others would enjoy the game more if I got the strategy.

So, what's the strategy to not taking life so seriously? Anybody want to weigh in? (Of course the irony is that this whole topic is far too serious, but I needed to air this idea and clear my brain.)

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I think Elder Wirthlin's talk
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=b5f44bb52a73d110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1
touches on this subject.

Fromagette said...

Lack of sleep. We always seemed to giggle the most when we were exceptionally tired (ie "Are you a wake?")

But really, the time that I was the most sucessful at being happy, smiling etc was after a very profound experience with the atonement right at the end of my mission.