Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tomatoes


A couple of weeks ago I decided to dig up my tomatoes and be done for the season. A sister in my ward let me use a small portion of her garden in exchange for physical labor, which I enjoyed. I planted two Roma tomato plants which grew to a marvolous Oregon size with lots of green tomatoes. The season, however, was somewhat cold and they didn't ripen very quickly. I was sad that I didn't get as many tomatoes as I wanted.

Another sister from my ward suggested pulling up the plants and hanging them upside down in the garage to allow the remaining green tomatoes to ripen. It sounded good to me. The issue came in that I had to transport them from the garden, which was about a 10 minute walk away, to my house. I could have driven, but out of principle, I didn't. It shouldn't be too hard to carry them home. They were just a couple of tomato plants.

Well, as I got them out of the ground, I realized they were bigger and heavier than I expected. So, I bundled up the bamboo sticks which held the plants up while they grew and stuck the tomato plants on the end and carried them home on my shoulder rather like a traveler who has tied all her belongings in the knapsack at the end of a stick.

The end result was a cascade of plants with green tomatoes down my back. I like to think that anyone who saw me got a laugh out of it and their day went better afterward. Here are pictures of them hanging in my garage. Notice that they have ripened nicely.

6 comments:

Fromagette said...

Now, I don't want to seem nitpicky, but I noticed some spelling errors in your post. And you call yourself an English teacher? :) Lovely tomatoes, by the way. Think you will have some in a couple weeks?

Lynette said...

Hooray that you were able to salvage them!! You are so good at growing your plants and vegetables. :) That was so nice of your friend to let you use her land so you could have your garden!

I love that you carried them home on your shoulder, the fruit of your labors. :)

Elizabeth said...

Fromagette-- (Do I have to call you that???) I don't know what you are talking about. Spelling errors indeed. You keep on this way and I'll have to start "moderating" your comments.

As far as the tomatoes, yes I might have some in a couple of weeks.

JackieE said...

That is a great image. Did you whistle while you worked? And then did you sing High Ho on the way home? Or is it Heigh Hoh? I'm not sure how they spell it. Miss you!

Elizabeth said...

JackieE

I miss you, too! And yes, I should have whistled while I walked home. That would have added to the general air of the situation.

By the way, I get to see a lot of freshly turned soil up here in Oregon. :)

Tiffany W. said...

I wish you would have had a picture of you walking and carrying all those tomatoes on your back! Too funny! ;)