Saturday, September 12, 2009

Pictastory: In which I stumble upon something famous

This week's Pictastory goes back to 2002. That summer, my mom, her mom, and I went to England for two and a half weeks to do family history research. We didn't spend the whole time looking at old wills, however. We spent a few days in London and one in Stratford-Upon-Avon before heading off to North Hampton to begin the real work. From there we went to other counties and other records offices. We got to the point where we couldn't see any more immediate genealogy work to do so while my mom and grandma looked through some more film (film readers make me sea sick) I checked out the local library for possible tourist destinations. I was leafing through a book on the near-by Peak District, when I came across a picture similar to this one:
I thought, hmmm . . . could it be? No. Maybe? Well . . . maybe we should check it out. Without revealing my suspicion to my mom, I suggested we go see Lyme House in the Peak District. They both agreed and off we went. Try as I might, I couldn't keep my exceitment to my self, so when we stopped at an Tourist information place (why, I don't remember), I showed my mom a leaflet on the house and told her it's significance. She was as excited as I was.

We made it there and enjoyed touring the grounds and learning about the family who had owned the land and house. The house itself was closed that day so we didn't get to go in, but it was fun to find all the significant spots on the grounds. See if you can recognize these locations:

Location #1

Location #2
Location #3
Afterward, we continued to drive through the Peak District and followed the signs to this place:


It's not as recognizable from this side since the movie (a newer version of the same story as the one above) that used it filmed everything from within the park. We got there just before closing time so it wasn't worth paying the x number of pounds to see it for five minutes. Even though we didn't get to go inside, I still recognized it when I saw this version of the movie. It's rather ironic since in the book they do visit this place and yet in the movie it is used as his house.

Sorry to be so cryptic, but it's so much fun to see if people can guess. Have fun!

2 comments:

Fromagette said...

Ummm...I don't think I qualify. Anyone who has watch that movie as many times as I have definitely does not qualify. :)

JackieE said...

I don't qualify either. I'm so jealous that you've been there!