Thursday, September 3, 2009

It's a Wonderful Life

If you are a regular reader of this random blog, you will know that a couple of weeks ago my sister came down to visit and spent one afternoon and night at my place. (She stayed longer than that, but we all went to her in-laws place.) It's always wonderful to share my own space with someone, but especially with my sister and her kids.

After the initial hugs and kisses and moving things in, we all hopped in the car and went to visit the farm I farm-sat for. My niece had gotten to see all the pictures and videos when I posted them--if she drank all her milk for the day at least--and enjoyed them. It was even better in real life. We saw the baby goat who drank all her milk, the cows who make funny noises, the chickens and where they lay their eggs, the garden, the cats and dogs, and the pigs. (I never really talked about the pigs before because I didn't have to do anything for them since their food and water is automated.) We even picked black berries and beans--which were eaten on the spot--and tomatoes.

We headed home to dinner. My niece and nephew made short work of the living room and soon there were dominoes everywhere. They loved it. They got to take baths in Aunt Elizabeth's bath tub and climb/crawl up and down the stairs (it was my 10-month-old walking nephew's first experience with stairs he could use himself with supervision).

At some point in the evening, while my sister was doing something with the baby, my niece and I headed over to the small park in my development. The weather was perfect and had been all afternoon. As we were walking over, my niece said with complete awe in her voice, "This is a wonderful place." She said it a couple of times, actually.

I've thought a lot about that over the last few weeks. And it's true. I do live in a wonderful place. From her almost three-year-old perspective, it had been an amazing afternoon. I guess I had enjoyed it just as much as she did, but in my own way. It's just that in her innocent wisdom, she recognized what she had in all it's goodness and glory and said so. What an example!

So here I am, stating for the world that I live in a wonderful place. I have a wonderful life. I have more blessings than I can count and certainly more opportunities to serve than I take. The title probably doesn't count as an allusion since it's a title itself, but it is one of my favorite movies and illustrates the need to actively see and communicate the positive things in life.

Thanks to Jimmy Stewart and my niece for reminding me to see life in all it's wonderful glory.

0 comments: